Please note the City of Bluefield does not accept unsolicited resumes. The City of Bluefield does not accept or retain resumes that do not relate to a specific, open position.
To complete an application, please visit the City of Bluefield Municipal Complex at 200 Rogers Street.
Resumes may be emailed to: email@example.com. Please include position applying for in the subject line. You may also mail your resume to:
Director of Human Resources
City of Bluefield
200 Rogers Street
Bluefield, WV 24701
Benefits package for full-time positions includes: health insurance, life insurance, retirement, vacation and sick pay, as well as supplemental options, including dental and vision insurance.
The City of Bluefield is an equal opportunity employer for all positions.
Notice is hereby given that the Police Civil ServiceCommission of the City of Bluefield, West Virginia, will be acceptingapplications for certified police officers, and conducting entry-level tests forprobationary police officers in the Bluefield, West Virginia City Office.Applicants must be between 18 and 35 years of age, must be or become a residentof Mercer County, have a high school diploma or GED, and have a valid WestVirginia Driver’s License. Applications will only be taken at the City ofBluefield, Municipal Complex, City Clerk’s Office, 200 Rogers Street,Bluefield, WV until Friday, July 13th, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
The Lifeguard maintains constant surveillance of patrons inthe facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons inthe event of emergency. Provides emergency care and treatment as required untilthe arrival of emergency medical services.
Responsibilities and Duties
Qualifications and Skills
- Maintain watch over the pool area ensuring a secure and safeenvironment
- Employ accident prevention by enforcing pool rules andregulations
- Respond to all injuries, incidents, and emergencies asdirected by club policy
- Teach private & group swim lesson to kids and adults ofall abilities
- Assist in the development, implementation and marketing ofinnovative swim programs
- Assist in coaching a competitive swim team
- Assist in the maintenance and cleanliness of the aquaticscenter
- Must be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Current accredited Lifeguarding Certification or the abilityto obtain the certification at the time of hire
Certified Personal Trainer
- Prior experience lifeguarding or teaching swim lessons
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications or the abilityto obtain the certification at the time of hire
The Personal Trainer provides a customfitness program in proper cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training ina one on one learning or small group environment to both health seekers andactive fitness participants to attain the participants’ chief goal(s).
Responsibilities and Duties
Safety and Risk Management
Arrives at work consistently on time, in proper uniform, andprepared to perform the essential functions of your job
- Motivates and inspire clients to get results through goalsetting, frequent follow-up, and re-assessments to show progress
- Maintains up to date client folders and tracks sessions
- Learns members’ names and unique individual goals each shift
- Educates members on proper exercise form and appropriate use ofequipment, providing appropriate intervention and communication when necessary
- Provides members with “spotting” support when safe andappropriate
- Maintains a neat and orderly environment by ensuring equipmentis returned to its proper location after use and educating members and clientsto do the same
- Maintains awareness of changes in schedules, staffing,procedures and environment that can affect a member’s experience, and leads membersthrough the changes in an informative, supportive manner
- Models consistently the Y’s values of caring, respect,responsibility and citizenship, thereby encouraging and supporting thedevelopment of these values within our members
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service trainings
Adheres to all safety policies, rules and standard operatingprocedures established by Parks and Recreation
- Inspects, corrects and maintains the work station/environment toensure it is free from hazards or unsafe conditions
- Reports all injuries and accidents, no matter how minor,immediately to the appropriate supervisor
- Immediately reports all observed unsafe acts and conditions tothe supervisor
- Always reports to work in an acceptable condition, not under theinfluence of any substance that could inhibit the ability to work safety orefficiently
Qualifications and Skills
- Buildsand maintains effective, positive relationships with members, participants andstaff
- Creates asupportive community environment
- Modelsrelationship-building skills in all interactions
- Respondsand/or resolves member inquiries and/or concerns in a timely manner
- Understandsand executes their role in fulfilling our promise as a cause-drivenorganization
- Must be18 years of age
- Currentcertification in Personal Training from an accredited organization, i.e. NASM,ACE, AFAA etc
- Thoroughknowledge of strength and cardiovascular equipment and their appropriate use
- Abilityto assess individual fitness and effectively build a customized fitnessprogram
- Physicalability to lead and interact in fitness activities and perform related physicalfitness skills
- Possessexcellent customer service and communication skills
- Possessor be willing to learn sales skills
- Ability toself-promote and network
- 1-2 yearsrelated experience preferred
- Certificationrequirements include, within 30 days of hire, CPR/AED and First Aid; ChildAbuse Prevention.
The City of Bluefield is seeking interns who can work approximately 20 hours per week. These positions are paid, part-time / temporary position with the potential of turning into a full-time permanent position. Recent graduates will also be considered for the position.
Through an internship in the Community and Economic Development department, the intern will assist with:
- Coordinating with organizations and community groups for events and business opportunities
- Extending city support to community groups and events
- Creating digital brochures for a marketing outreach initiative
- Marketing the City of Bluefield to be the place of choice to live, work and play
- Marketing to potential start-up businesses and potential business relocations
- Be involved in creating narratives and other support to GIS projects to be used for the city’s comprehensive plan
- Marketing through social media platforms
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: Preferably in advertising, marketing or communications.
- Strong communication and writing abilities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe and related software products
- Advanced experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with WordPress preferred
- Experience in videography and photography with the ability to edit and create quality marketing materials